HomeNewsLocal group helping students graduate in style and on budget

Local group helping students graduate in style and on budget

Graduation should be a happy time for local highschoolers but it may not be if they can’t afford the dress or suit. The Finishing Touch Grad Society in Grande Prairie is trying to help by providing students in need with an outfit for the occasion. Vice President Cheryl George says cost shouldn’t stop students from graduating.

“We feel that everybody should get that opportunity to partake in their graduation and be recognized for the hard work that they have done as well. We don’t think that not being financially able to do it should stand in the way.”

The society was first started in 2009 by a group of parents. They work with counsellors at all four of the local high schools as well as those in places like Beaverlodge, Hythe to see who is most in need of their service. Students have also come from as far away as Slave Lake and High Prairie to get clothes.

Each year, Finishing Touch holds a boutique day in March. This year, 23 to 25 grads left with an outfit. For people who missed that day, George says they are still accepting applications.

“We have never turned anybody away and we won’t turn anybody away. Even though it’s passed the boutique day, we still will take that application and dress them.”

While George says they already have a fully stocked inventory of 300 to 400 dresses, they won’t turn down donations. They can be dropped off at any of the four local high schools, Richmond Dry Cleaners and Lynn’s Alterations.

Students looking to apply can do so through their school’s counselling office.