UPDATE: ATCO Gas and the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service have checked the school and say it’s safe for staff and students to return. PWPSD says the odour was possibly due to escaping sewer gases in the area.
Staff and students are currently being evacuated from Whispering Ridge Community School after staff believed they smelled natural gas. The Peace Wapiti Public School Division says students and staff are safe and accounted for and are being taken to the Grande Prairie Alliance Church.
The County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service is currently on scene along with ATCO Gas. MyGrandePrairieNow.com will update when more information becomes available.
A similar evacuation of the school happened on February 12th, when the smell of natural gas was noticed after classes were done for the day. In that case, ATCO did tests and deemed the school safe.