The county fire department wants to remind the public about the importance of working smoke alarms, after a couple of recent house fires.
In one case, all family members escaped safely when the smoke alarm when off, in the other the person who was home at the time of the fire was alerted by the alarm and was able to escape out of a window.
Next week in Fire Prevention week, and the theme this year is “Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives”.
Fire Marshal Ken Atamanchuk says they should be tested every month.
Most smoke alarms fail simply because disconnected or dead batteries, something which Atamanchuk says is a simple fix.