Listen Live
HomeNewsOverheated fridge compressor sparks Crystal Lake basement fire

Overheated fridge compressor sparks Crystal Lake basement fire

- Advertisement -

A malfunctioning fridge is being blamed for a fire that damaged the basement of a Crystal Lake home Sunday night. The Grande Prairie Fire Department responded to fire alarm in a home in the area of 118th Avenue and Cygnet Boulevard around 6:45 p.m.

They found smoke in the basement from a fire that broke out when the fridge’s compressor overheated. Firefighters were able to quickly bring the flames under control, and the damage was mostly kept to a small area downstairs.

Platoon Chief Tony Lutzmann says no one was home at the time of the fire, proving the use of having a home alarm system.

“The supervised alarm system alerted the Fire Department early in the fire saving the possibility of an undiscovered fire that could have caused significantly more fire damage.”

- Advertisement -

There is some smoke damage in the home, and it’s estimated everything will cost less than $5,000 to repair.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Continue Reading