Significant damage was done to a home in downtown Grande Prairie when a fire broke out shortly after the lunch hour yesterday. The Grande Prairie Fire Department was called to the home on 100 Avenue and 97 Street shortly before 2 yesterday afternoon.
Platoon Chief Bart Johnson says a working smoke detector in the home gave the sole occupant plenty of time to get out of the house and call 911 when the fire broke out.
It took crews several hours to make sure the flames were totally extinguished. It’s not yet clear what started the fire or how much damage was done. An investigation is ongoing.