HomeNewsSexsmith elementary students to hit the stage in long awaited production of...

Sexsmith elementary students to hit the stage in long awaited production of Mary Poppins Jr.

On May 10th, students at the Robert W. Zahara School will perform their take on the classic tale Mary Poppins.

“Mary Poppins Jr.” is a musical featuring a cast of Robert W. Zahara School students between grades two through six based on the stories of P.L. Travers and Walt Disney with original music by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman.

The production also marks a special occasion for Director and Choreographer Clara Girvan. Mary Poppins Jr. is the ninth musical production at RWZ and will be Girvan’s last production before her retirement.

Girvan describes the journey to the play’s production as a “long road” with production starting in 2020 and delays from COVID-19 but both she and her students say they are quite excited to perform.

“Rehearsals were well underway when we had to cancel due to the pandemic,” she says. “We hoped we would one day be able to complete our work, and now here we are four years later working on the production.”

As a result of the delays, three grade one students from 2020 have returned to take on larger roles as grade five students.

Opening night is scheduled for May 10th at 7:00 p.m. at the RWZ gymnasium and shows are planned for May 11th at the same time and May 12th at 2:00 p.m. Doors open thirty minutes before the show and Tickets are available from the school office for $5 each.