Listen Live
HomeNewsChimney fire damage pegged at $100K

Chimney fire damage pegged at $100K

A chimney fire at a home in Montrose has caused an estimated $100,000 in damage. The Grande Prairie Fire Department was called to the house in the area of 114 Avenue and 97 Street a little after 11:36 p.m. Thursday night.

By the time they arrived, smoke was coming out of the roof near the chimney, and more resources were called in. Firefighters got into the attic and found the fire had spread to the roof itself, some of the walls, the chimney and underneath the basement.

Two people were home when the flames started, and both were able to escape and call for help. Platoon Chief Tony Lutzmann notes that if they had been asleep, a working smoke alarm would have been the only way they would have known about the fire.

The fire department says it was able to quickly bring the blaze under control, keeping the fire damage to the area around the chimney. However, there is also smoke damage in the home.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading