â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsGrande Prairie Peace Officers to focus on school zone safety as kids...

Grande Prairie Peace Officers to focus on school zone safety as kids head back to class

As the majority of students across Grande Prairie head back to class on September 5th, City of Grande Prairie Enforcement Services Officers will be paying close attention to school zones to ensure both drivers and pedestrians are keeping safety top of mind.

With kids returning to school, school zone speed limits will also be back in effect, which means slowing down to 30 kilometres an hour from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday when schools are in session. Drivers are also being given numerous tips to make the transition back into school zone driving as seamless as possible. These include simply slowing down overall and being ready for unexpected stops, factoring in extra time for the commute, and staying attentive behind the wheel, including following all distracted driving laws.

“I ask each of our residents to prioritize safety as our students return to school. Let’s all be a part of ensuring that every student’s journey to and from school is safe and successful” says Grande Prairie Mayor Jackie Clayton.

Drivers who drop their kids off at school are being reminded to keep sidewalks clear, give at least five metres of space from crosswalks or intersections while parking, and always park on the side of the street that matches traffic patterns.

- Advertisement -

Throughout the month, Grande Prairie Enforcement Services will be on the lookout for any vehicles not adhering to the parking guidelines in school zones. Meanwhile, parents, guardians and older students are being strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the drop-off zones, no-parking areas, and no-stopping zones.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading