International Museum Day
Visitors from across the region are invited to celebrate International Museum Day with free activities at three local museums!
– Sunday, May 21, 2023
– 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
-Grande Prairie Museum & Heritage Village
– Veterans Memorial Gardens and Interpretive Centre
– Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum
– Free admission to each location from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
– Free shuttle service between locations. See details at cityofgp.com/IMD2023.
– Special feature exhibits at each location.
– Scavenger hunt on May 21 with a prize for a randomly selected winner.
– Free cake provided by New Horizon Co-op.
– Food truck or concession stand at each location.
FREE SHUTTLE BUS SCHEDULE
There is FREE shuttle service between locations every 40 minutes between 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. See the schedule at cityofgp.com/IMD2023
– Grande Prairie Museum – Textile Tales
The Grande Prairie Museum’s current exhibit called Textile Tales features some of the best examples of textiles from the Peace Region through different blankets, clothing and more. The exhibit also features hands-on activities including ribbon weaving, table loom weaving, peg weaving and hand sewing.
The Heritage Village at the Grande Prairie Museum opens for the season on May 21 at the International Museum Day event.
– Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum – Dinosaurs Among Us
The Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum will feature a sneak peek of an upcoming exhibit called Dinosaurs Among Us and a walk up show where you can meet Mack the tortoise.
– Veterans Memorial Gardens & Interpretive Centre
The Veterans Memorial Gardens & Interpretive Centre’s new display The Italian Campaign and the Battle of Ortona features The Loyal Edmonton Regiment, D Company Grande Prairie circa 1943.
Fifty-five soldiers from the Grande Prairie region were killed in action at the Battle of Ortona. The display includes maps, photos, videos and a slide show.