Grande Prairie RCMP is warning the public about a potential paving scam after responding to an incident involving a travelling group offering paving services at discounted prices.
Mounties say around 11 a.m on July 4th they received a report that people were travelling door to door offering to pave driveways for a huge discount, claiming to be associated with a reputable business.
It’s alleged they’re also using rented vehicles, and equipment, and after they ask for and receive money up front, they either do a terrible job, or don’t finish the job, and leave with the cash.
Police say in many cases like this if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. They offer the following tips to keep yourself safe from potential fraudsters:
- Research any company/contractor prior to hiring them
- Ask for references
- Make efforts to know who you are speaking to
- Ask to see their business license and identification
- Take steps to verify information prior to hiring a company
- Do not pay upfront prior to the start of a job
Anyone who may have information about this, or similar scams, is urged to call RCMP or Crime Stoppers.