â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsTwo GPRC students receive grant for wildfire management research

Two GPRC students receive grant for wildfire management research

A pair of GPRC students have received a grant to help them continue their wildfire management research through Sistering Indigenous and Western Science.

Student researchers Andrea Rosenberger and Emma Doerksen are one of eight teams of women across the province, which includes one Indigenous and one non-Indigenous student to help conduct research in support of Indigenous public interests through the National Resources Canada mandate.

Rosenberger says it’s an honour to be recognized for the hard work and dedication she and others like her have put forward over the years.

“Knowledge is just so needed and I think it’s just kind of validating for Indigenous people. I can’t speak on behalf of all Indigenous people, but just to know we have the science and are leaders in science.”

- Advertisement -

With the duo investigating Indigenous traditions around wildfire management, Rosenberger believes with the most recent fires happening in High Level and Paddle Prairie, the research couldn’t have come at a better time.

“Who better to know the land in those ways than us, and just to have the opportunity to bring those stories forward, the teachings and that knowledge, I think is just really exciting.”

The team’s final report will include a presentation of their findings to the community as well as a potential podcast.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading