HomeNewsLocal students hope to help others access fresh water one step at...

Local students hope to help others access fresh water one step at a time

For some people around the world getting clean water is not as easy as turning on a tap. That’s the message students at Composite High School and Charles Spencer High School in Grande Prairie want to spread at their 5th annual Interact Walk for Water.

Composite High School Interact Club President Shubh Patel says this event is all about showing people how hard it can be for others to access fresh water.

“The whole idea is basically sympathizing with what many people face. All the hardships they face on a daily basis, not having clean water and clean bathroom facilities to have access to.”

The Walk for Water is part of a larger campaign started by the non-profit group WE. The group estimates that more than 840 million people worldwide are living without access to clean water.

Each person taking part will walk six kilometres around the Muskoseepi Park pond carrying a backpack filled with six litres of water. Shubh says all the money raised at this year’s event will be sent to the Island of Roatán in Honduras.

“That money will go directly to helping build clean water facilities [so that] people in Roatán have access to fresh water.”

The event will be held on June 8th at Muskoseepi Park. It is open to the public and registration begins at 9:45 a.m.