â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsStudents prepped for 15th annual Northwest Regional Skills Competition

Students prepped for 15th annual Northwest Regional Skills Competition

It’ll test area high school students on skills ranging from baking to welding, auto servicing to culinary arts. The 15th annual Northwest Regional Skills Competition will welcome students from across the Peace Country April 25th and 26th.

Dean of Trades, Agriculture and Environment at Grande Prairie Regional College Chris Laue says the competition is more than just students showing off their best work.

“It’s an excellent venue for our students to understand how vocational training fits in and the importance of vocational training as far as being apart of any economy.”

Up to 130 students from places like Grande Cache, Grande Prairie, Peace River, and Manning will be at the Fairview Campus for the event, from which students move on to the provincial level.
Laue says, for some, the competition has taken them around the world to strut their stuff.

- Advertisement -

“We’ve had in the past a welder place top three in the world. The last time in the United Arab Emirates of the 22 competitors, 14 came out of Alberta that one year so we get great representation.”

Along with St. Thomas More School and Fairview High School, GPRC is hosting the welding, outdoor power, carpentry, auto, video production, photography, and workplace safety competitions.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading