HomeNewsBezanson students painting own intersection designs

Bezanson students painting own intersection designs

Youth from Bezanson will be brightening their community this week. Grade 6 Bezanson School students Taryn Cissell and Alandra Humbke entered and won a streetscape design contest put on in the hamlet earlier this month.

They and their classmates will be painting their designs on two intersections, while younger students paint public works equipment. The art will be done at the intersection of 100 Street and 100 Avenue as well as 104 Street and 100 Avenue.

County of Grande Prairie planners have been working with Bezanson School students since 2015 to get their input of the future of their hometown. Their intersection designs are meant to show their vision for the streets of the community.

“Youth are the future faces of our communities so we wanted to show them that they have a say in shaping their community’s future and the importance of getting involved,” says County Councillor Harold Bulford, who was also one of the three judges of the contest. “We thank the Bezanson School students for sharing their vision of community and their great ideas with us.”

Roughly 60 students took part in the contest from grades four to seven. Grade 4/5 teacher Becky Mayer says they love seeing the physical results of their work.

“The streetscape project allowed them to consider what Bezanson means to them as a community, beyond just their school. Many of these students will call Bezanson home even after their grown and this project will allow them to take pride in their contribution to community for years to come.”

Both intersections being painted will be down to a single, alternating lane from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 23rd and 24th. The painting will be done from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. each day, and drivers are asked to either avoid the area or drive carefully through it.

A free community barbecue will be held at the same time in the parking lot of Bezanson School. It’s part of the County of Grande Prairie’s celebration of Public Works Week, and the public is invited. They can also help the students paint equipment.