UPDATE 2: It’s now estimated the damage from this morning’s fire at 214 Place is valued between $25-40,000.
UPDATE: The fire that led to the evacuation of 214 Place this morning only ended up in minor damage to the building. Captain Bart Johnson says it started in an exhaust pipe from an emergency generator, and spread to some of the tar of the roof of the lobby.
“We were able to deal with it relatively easily. I had a crew on the roof that got all of the tar away, exposed the roofing material, and extinguished and hot spots, and then we turned the building over to the building government.”
Occupants have been allowed back in the building, and fire crews are no longer on the scene. The employee who spotted the smoke and called 9-1-1 before pulling the fire alarm has been commended for their quick thinking.
The Grande Prairie Fire Department is leaving the scene of 214 Place, which employees evacuated earlier this morning.
Smoke could be seen on the roof of the lobby, which is where crews focused their attention.
Traffic around the scene was temporarily diverted to give emergency crews room.
People have since been allowed in the building.
No word yet on the exact cause of the alarm.