A Grande Prairie family who was robbed twice after their home burned down last summer has lost their new home to fire.
The fire department was called to the construction site in the Smith subdivison just before 3 a.m. Saturday. The home was already engulfed in flames and only the garage is still standing. Firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading to nearby homes, but there was some heat damage.
The first fire happened back on August 13th, 2016 and was believed to be caused by an electrical issue. Tammy Toulouse says she’s in shock, as they were preparing to move into their newly built home this summer.
“April 15 was supposed to be the first coat of paint going up inside,” she says. “June 28 was the absolute latest date we would have been in.”
Investigators are having a hard time pinpointing what started this blaze, and Platoon Chief Ben Sargeant says they haven’t determined yet whether or not it’s suspicious.