HomeNewsStudents learn about the forestry industry at Walk through the Forest 2016

Students learn about the forestry industry at Walk through the Forest 2016

Learning stations were set up at Wapiti Nordic Centre on Tuesday for students to learn about the trees and forests in our area. The Walk Through the Forest has happened every year for ten years for grade 6 students to dig further into the trees and forest curriculum. Derek Taylor School Teacher Ben Kijek says he has brought his students out to learn for seven years.

“Mostly a review of what we do in science. It is connecting it to the real world…it will solidify”

Local forestry companies, the City, the province, and Alberta Science Network bring the learning day together. Long-term planner with Weyerhaueser Traci Carter says it is important for the youth of Grande Prairie to know more about the forests in our area.

“For industry, it is important because we are visual. if anyone is out in the forest, they see us. They see us working and managing the forest.”

Outdoor Education Teacher at Charles Spencer Matt Snider says he has his outdoor education students run from grades 9 through 12 to help run a learning game at the event every year.

“It is a great valuable experience for our students to learn some leadership skills and to pass on some of their passion for the outdoors to the younger generation. Hopefully, they can pass on some of that stewardship in them”

The students run through all stations to learn the importance of replanting, cutting down trees, as well as how the industry works.

Canfor, Nordbord, Weyerhaeuser, the City of Grande Prairie, The Alberta Government, Grande Prairie and Area Environmental Sciences Education Society and Alberta Science Network team up to bring the event.