The Grande Prairie Fire Department responded to a second fire in as many days around 4 this morning. A home in the area of 124 Ave and 96A Street was ablaze when firefighters arrived but crews were able to prevent the flames from spreading to neighbouring homes.
No one was injured as a result of the fire but the Crystal Ridge home was significantly damaged. Platoon Chief Bart Johnson says working smoke alarms in the home were a key factor in ensuring that the man who was home at the time of the fire was able to get out quickly. Fire crews are still on scene working to completely douse the flames.
An investigation into what sparked the blaze is under way.