HomeNewsPWPSD launches new bursary program that guarantees post-graduation teaching jobs within the...

PWPSD launches new bursary program that guarantees post-graduation teaching jobs within the school division

The Peace Wapiti School Division has announced the recipients of the 2024 Teacher Bursary.

This marks the first year of the program and the PWPSD says the bursary was created to help students within the division’s boundaries to attain their Bachelor of Education degree.

The program provides $3,000 per year to cover the costs associated with the teacher education program that a student is enrolled in, and in addition to the funding, students are promised a position within the Peace Wapiti School Division upon their graduation.

Originally, officials said only five bursaries were to be awarded; however, upon reviewing the applications it was determined that eight bursaries were appropriate due to “excellent” interviews from candidates. Additionally, members of the selection committee say they encourage everyone who was not selected this year to apply again next year.

Those selected include Kellie Flett, Deneika Frankie, Jodie Trapp, Rory Desmet, Sierra Evans, Bryce Bogdanek, Natasha Langlois, and Jenny Keddie.

This year’s recipients include current and past students, and current staff from around the division, and based on their anticipated graduation dates, will be able to take on teaching positions within the PWPSD within the next five years.