Listen Live
HomeNewsCity, County agree in principle to purchase Bandaged Paws building

City, County agree in principle to purchase Bandaged Paws building

The City and County of Grande Prairie have approved in principle to purchase what is commonly known as the Bandaged Paws building from the Edmonton Humane Society. City Land Officer Gordon Halliday says the purchase of the 9,184 square foot building on 104th Avenue currently is home to Bandaged Paws Animal Rescue Association is looked at as a positive for the community.

“The city and county see this as an opportunity to ensure adoption and rehoming services will continue to be available for the regional pound, which adjoins the property.”

The offer to purchase the property is for $750,000, with the city funding 60 per cent and the remaining 40 per cent being paid for by the County.

Halliday says one of the conditions included in the purchase agreement is the City and County administrations negotiate the terms of a new lease with Bandaged Paws and renew the terms of the service agreement.

- Advertisement -

Mayor Jackie Clayton says the purchase of the property is an investment into the “dedicated community organizations providing vital services, and in our furry community members who become family. We look forward to continued success on this inter-municipal partnership.”

Reeve Bob Marshall echoed Clayton’s words, saying it also shows the importance of animal care services for the region.

“We encourage our residents to consider animal adoption as a first choice for welcoming a friendly pet into their homes,” Marshall says. “The purchase of this shared facility is another example of the ongoing efforts between our two municipalities to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.”

Discussions regarding the sale of the property have been ongoing since 2021 when the Edmonton Humane Society approached the city about potentially selling the property.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading