HomeNewsCommunity foundation streamlines scholarship applications for students in northwestern Alberta

Community foundation streamlines scholarship applications for students in northwestern Alberta

More than $40,000 is available to postsecondary students through the Northwestern Alberta Foundation’s scholarship portal. The portal opened back in April and gives students access to what is described as a range of scholarships to help them achieve their goals.

Chief Executive Officer Laura LaValley says the idea is to make sure the money gets into the hands of students in northwestern Alberta.

“We are very pleased to be able to support students of all ages, so whether they have just finished high school or whether they are that mature student who is returning to school after years in the workforce, we have lots of different options for funding for them,” LaValley says.

She adds the portal itself is extremely user-friendly, having a universal application which will help students apply for multiple scholarships.

“What that means is, is students go on and apply and the application actually shows us which scholarships they are eligible for. So, it is a very simple process for them. We are hoping that across the region high schools and educational institutions will help us get the word out there that students are able to access these funds.”

In 2022 the organization awarded over $29,000 in scholarships to more than 70 students in northwestern Alberta. The scholarship portal closes on August 15th.