HomeNewsCAREERS to provide more opportunities for high school students interested in skilled...

CAREERS to provide more opportunities for high school students interested in skilled trades

High school students who are interested in skilled trades will now have more opportunities for paid internships across Alberta including in and around Grande Prairie.

As part of Budget 2023, CAREERS, also known as Careers The Next Generation, will get $23.5 million over three years. It will go towards enabling more students to potentially choose skilled trades, and receive work experience for in-demand career fields while earning money and high school credits towards their Grade 12 diploma.

CAREERS Regional Manager of Northwest Alberta Grande Prairie Dale Tiedemann says CAREERS is working toward expanding opportunities and connecting as many youth as possible to employers and recruiting more people since they are many others in the field retiring.

“We know that there is a critical shortage when it comes to the number of people entering the skilled trades. A recent infographic developed by Northwestern Polytechnic shows that for every one new journeyperson entering the workforce, there are six exiting mainly due to retirements.”

CAREERS has been working with employers and community partners to provide hands-on worksite tours and day camps for high school students as well as providing schools and community-based presentations to create awareness around a growing number of in-demand career paths.

“CAREERS is providing opportunities for students that are primary in high school starting at age 15, and we will support them until the age of 20,” says Tiedemann.

Tiedemann adds, apart from skilled trades, CAREERS also provides opportunities for students to explore pathways in Agriculture, Forestry, Information & Communications Technology, and Health.