HomeNewsPlayschool, grade 1 students return to Whispering Ridge school

Playschool, grade 1 students return to Whispering Ridge school

After just over nine months of ongoing work and classes being moved to The Grande Prairie Alliance Church, all playschool and grade 1 students have returned to Whispering Ridge school. On April 11th, 2021, the County of Grande Prairie responded to a fire at the school, which took place in the Grade 1 and playschool modular classrooms. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze and no one was hurt during the incident.

Assistant Principal Abby Stillwell says she is grateful to the community for supporting grade 1 and playschool students, especially the Grande Prairie Alliance Church.

“The Grande Prairie Alliance Church opened their arms to our students and staff, making this incredibly challenging situation one that has been filled with love, kindness, and generosity,” she explains.

“Their facility has allowed us to utilize beautiful learning spaces right here in our own community, which has meant the world to us and our families.”

In a statement, the Peace Wapiti Public School Division says they would like to send its most sincere thank you to the Grande Prairie Alliance Church, the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service, and the rest of the community for showing great support during the last several months.

Communications Officer Kayla Klava says that students are glad to be back and feel a sense of normal again.

“The students and staff have done a really good job of adjusting and going with the flow. The members of the church were fantastic, giving us the space to continue their learning and it went really well.”

Playschool and Grade 1 students returned to the school on January 17th, using the modular classrooms.