â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsUPDATE: Whispering Ridge students to learn from home following fire

UPDATE: Whispering Ridge students to learn from home following fire

UPDATE: Peace Wapiti Public School Division says students will be moving to at-home remote learning until the all clear is given for them to return to Whispering Ridge Commmunity School. Grades 2 to 8 students will start Monday, April 12th, while grade 1 students will have the day off and start on the 13th. Kindergarten students will attend on on their scheduled days.

PWPSD says the fire was limited to the grade 1 and playschool modular classrooms and no one was inside them at the time. The fire is now out but the public is asked to stay off school grounds as safety inspections and remediation work is planned.

School staff will contact families with learning plans as soon as possible. The date for students to return to class is unknown at this time.

The portable classrooms at the back of Whispering Ridge Community School have been damaged by fire. The County Regional Fire Service says it was called to the school by alarms around 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning.

- Advertisement -

When firefighters arrived, it’s reported fire and smoke could be seen coming from beneath the classrooms. The fire service says they’ve put out the blaze but are still on the scene as of 8 a.m. to put out hot spots and clean up.

Officials say there is damage to the portable classrooms but it does not extend to the main body of the school. No injuries have been reported.

An investigation into the cause of the fire is underway with the Fire Marshal on scene.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading