Listen Live
HomeNewsPeace Wapiti Academy student named to Minister’s Youth Council

Peace Wapiti Academy student named to Minister’s Youth Council

A grade 12 student from Peace Wapiti Academy has been named to the 2019-2020 Minister’s Youth Council. Brookelyn Sorensen says she was seeking an opportunity to make a difference by contributing to my community and the future of others.

“Rural students may not have as many opportunities to participate in engagement activities, but I believe everyone should have a voice in our education system.”

“It is invigorating to help through this important role and be involved in the changes that are coming. I strongly believe everyone should learn about our amazing province because I am proud to call Alberta home,” she adds.

Sorensen, along with other members of the council, will share student perspectives at a trio of meetings with the Minister of Education in Edmonton three times over the next eight months.

- Advertisement -

She says one of her first points of business when talking about the needs of students is getting the message across that proper funding is needed to raise the chances of success for her pupils in Grande Prairie and across Alberta.

“I would like to see neglected programs in smaller high schools receive the proper funding to keep them current and updated. I also believe that the education system should continue their efforts to be inclusive of differentiated learning styles, and our curriculum should reflect that.”

Sorensen is one of just 40 students selected from more than 200 applications from across Alberta.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading