While the holidays are a time for gathering with family and friends, they can also pose an increased fire risk.
Grande Prairie Fire Marshal James Kostuk says there are a few tips that can help keep you safe, like not leaving cooking unattended.
“Usually when you have people over, you’re doing a lot more cooking, so that’s the first thing is you want to make sure you’re always in the kitchen when you’re grilling, frying, or broiling food. If you’re simmering, boiling, or baking, you just need to make sure you have a timer set and you’re in the house.”
The same goes for burning candles, which should not be left unattended, and should be kept away from flammable materials.
Kostuk also stresses the importance of watering your Christmas tree daily and tossing it 14 days after it was cut like churches and schools have to.
“So you should consider applying that same rule to your home; it’s important to have a live tree, because they’re more flame resistant when well watered. Once the needles start falling off, you need to get rid of that tree; get it out of your house because they are quite dangerous.”
Make sure not to overload any electrical outlets, use approved indoor lights on your tree, and replace any strands that are frayed.
Photo by Flickr user Rudy Kleysteuber