People are being reminded to shower before and after using the leisure pool at the Beaverlodge Rec Centre. That comes after a high bacteria count was found in the water. Seasonal Aquatics Coordinator Alexandra Gould says it took around two weeks and a lot of chlorine to get the pool back to safe swimming standards after they found out.
“About seven weeks ago we got notification from AHS that we had higher than usual levels of Pseudomonas aeruginosa… We ended up having to shut down, we had to super chlorinate our waters and then we submitted another test and we were all good to go and we have been good since.”
The type of bacteria in the water can cause things like skin rashes and ear infections in some people. It is commonly found in soil, water, plants, and on areas of the human body. Because of that, Gould stresses the importance of showering before and after using the centre.
“We recommend warm water and soap. As long as you do that before and after you get out of the water you’re going to be okay. We are held to specific guidelines in order to keep our waters open so as long as we’re following our guidelines and everybody’s showering and doing their part then everybody’s gonna be just fine.”
People are also reminded not to wear outdoor shoes on the pool deck or in the changerooms as they could track in contaminated soil.