Grande Prairie Stompede chuckwagon tarp auction brings in $97,000
2019 Grande Prairie Stompede Chuckwagon Tarp Auction. Photo courtesy Western Chuckwagon Association Facebook
2017 Grande Prairie Stompede aggregate champion Derek Aebly brought in the top bid at the 2019 Western Chuckwagon Association tarp auction. Horizon Hauling put in the winning bid at $17,000. Aebly was, in fact, the overall highest bid-on rider of the night, pulling in over $70,000 for his season.
The top bid was nearly double that of the next closest racer as Mighty-Peace Harley Davidson ponied up $9,000 for Lane Kimble’s tarp. The average winning bid in the 2019 auction was just over $6,000.
The top bid this year eclipsed the top winner from 2018 when Kurt Bensmiller brought in $11,000 from Air Canada.
Top Five winning bids from the 2019 Grande Prairie Stompede Tarp Auction:
1. Derek Aebly, Horizon Hauling, $17,000
2. Lane Kimble, Mighty Peace Harley Davidson, $9,000
3. Colin Lefley, Essex Lease Financial Company, $8,500
4. Rick McRorie, Shadow Rathole Drilling Ltd, $8,000
5. Erik Tremblay, North West Crane Enterprises Ltd, $8,000