HomeNewsGPRC Business Conference brings business owners, students together

GPRC Business Conference brings business owners, students together

Around 290 students have gathered at Grande Prairie Regional College to talk business with those in the industry. Tuesday marked the 30th anniversary of the college’s Business Conference. Second-year student Ash Khatib says there’s a special message behind this year’s event.

“Our title today for the business conference is to adapt, evolve and overcome and be the best version of yourself. Every business student has to put this in his or her mind to become a successful businessman or woman.”

The conference was started in 1989 by Tom Thompson, who was the business professor at the time. It is planned and organized by students in the Contemporary Issues in Business Class and is the students’ final project for the year.

Speeches will be held throughout the day from local entrepreneurs who have come to talk about opening their own business, what they had to go through and the pros and cons. It also gives students a chance to meet those they may work with in the future.

Khatib already owns his own marketing firm and says a conference like this one is an invaluable experience for him.

“It’s a very good opportunity for me to make more connections in the business world in Grande Prairie. Last year I got some clients from this business conference and this year as well. It’s a really good way to make connections and connect with other people from your field.”

The conference runs at the Douglas J. Cardinal Performing Arts Centre until 3:15 p.m.