HomeNewsOrganizers planning for an even bigger and better Mighty Peace Day 2015

Organizers planning for an even bigger and better Mighty Peace Day 2015

Just 4 months remain before the second ever Mighty Peace Day hits Grande Prairie.

Organizers are hard at work to provide what they hope will be a bigger and even more exciting event than last year.

Student advocate and recent St. Joe’s grad Hailey Winniky-Lewis says the first Mighty Peace Day was involved in the 2013 event, and says she wanted to come back to help spread the message even further.

“It inspired so many people to do more, as well as myself, and why not be a part of an amazing movement that the Peace Country really needs.”

Spencer Diederich is another one of the student advocates working to make Mighty Peace Day a success.

“We go to businesses, we help out, we give speeches. We’re just trying to provide knowledge about the event and all the information. We’re kind of the youth that make it happen, behind the scenes with the adults.”

Moira Muir is the Composite High School student advocate. She says they have high hopes for attendance numbers that will blow last year out of the water.

“Last year was kind of hard, my school only predicted that 25 kids would go just because nobody had really heard of it before, but 250 kids from the Comp went. So we’re hoping to get more now that more people have heard about it, and they’ll tell friends and people will really have a chance to see how inspiring the day is.”

Students around the Peace Region will have to accumulate volunteer hours in order to attend Mighty Peace Day on February 10 where they will have a chance to hear from speakers like Spencer West, and Free the Children’s Craig Keilburger.

Last year more than 2500 students took part, now organizers hope to fill the Revolution Place arena with 3500 students.

Photo left to right: Hailey Winniky-Lewis, Moira Muir, and Spencer Diederich.