HomeNewsCatholic school district lobbying the province for new junior-senior high school

Catholic school district lobbying the province for new junior-senior high school

The Grande Prairie Catholic School District is asking the province to announce a new Junior-Senior High School for the city by Christmas.

Superintendent Karl Germann says they are looking for a school in the north end that would compliment St Joe’s, as that school can only hold 850 students.

“There is over 900 students in that school already, and so we’d need almost a full compliment of facilities, everything from a foods lab, a construction lab, a lab for design studies, a whole variety of spaces that any large junior or senior high school would need.”

Germann says as the communities grows on the north end of Grande Prairie, now would be a good time to get started on a new high school for the area.

“The board is looking at either the north-west or the north-east, and they’re having discussions both with the county and with the city in the next couple of months to see who might be the best partner for this school. So it might be in either of those corners, but there’s a number of sites that are already ready for school construction.”

Germann says if Premier Jim Prentice does announce a new school for Grande Prairie in December, it would be at least three years before the doors would be ready to open.