Building Your Own Custom Home is NOT as Scary as You Might Think.
Imagine living in your dream home.
Designing and constructing a custom home is a wonderful journey of discovery as you learn more about what you want and how you want to live.
Why Build a Custom Home?
There is nothing quite like moving into a house that you helped design. When you choose to build a custom home…
- You have the freedom to design the layout of your house.
- You are not limited to select finishes available to you.
- Your custom home can accommodate any special needs you might have.
- Being part of the build process can be a lot of fun.
- You’re involved in selecting everything in the home – from room sizes and features to mechanical systems.
- Quality over quantity. Custom homes are constructed by the best of the best.
Setting Yourself Up For a Successful Custom Build
Step 1 is choosing a builder – someone you can work with and who will work with you to help you design and build the home you envision.
Will the builder listen to you and work with you to help you create your vision? Does the builder have the knowledge and experience to tailor mechanical systems and construction materials specifically for your home and lifestyle?
There is a big difference between a ‘Custom Builder’ like the professionals at Stonebuilt Homes and a company whose focus is on building Spec Level Homes. Depending on your expectations for your budget, the building process, and your home, one might be better than the other.
Define Your Expectations
- In a Spec Level Build, you can expect basic finishes, limited selections, and standard features.
- A Custom Build often includes nice finishes, flexibility on selections, and some upgraded features.
- A High-Level Custom project can offer high-end finishes, unlimited selections, and multiple customized features.
If you love Pinterest or Houzz and want to incorporate some of those unique ideas into your new home, then maybe a custom build is for you. Stonebuilt Homes’ process, for example, is designed to be creative – sourcing unique products and ideas to incorporate into your home design resulting in truly custom and high-level custom homes.
‘Budget’ is Not a 4 Letter Word
It’s important to talk to your bank to determine what you can spend. This is the perfect time to really start managing any expectations you have for your custom home.
Before land costs, an average custom house of 3,000 – 4,000 square feet of finished living space could cost $750,000 – $950,000. And consider budgeting $1,000,000+ for a high level custom build.
Of course, the true difference between buying a million dollar house and custom building your million dollar dream home is, with the latter, you are getting what you want.
It’s All About the People
When you are considering building a custom home, there is more to the process than picking out features. You are also selecting a team of designers, drafts people, project managers, and a dedicated crew to help you make your dreams come true.
A strong, clear relationship with your builder is key to align with your expectations. Do they have the team and process in place to meet those expectations? Is their primary focus in line with the type of home you want to build? Builders like Stonebuilt Homes like to meet with customers to discuss their needs, wants, lifestyle, budget expectations, and their building process….
The process of building a custom home is not as scary as you might think. It all begins… AND ENDS with a vision and a dream.
GET IN TOUCH!
We’d love to discuss your custom home. Contact Stonebuilt today!
Address: #102, 10525 100 Avenue, Grande Prairie, AB T8V 0V8