The city of Grande Prairie Fire Department was called to a first-floor fire in the Ranchlands apartment complex.
The call came in around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday evening. When crews arrived Palatoon Chief Ben Sargeant said smoke and flames were visible and were extending up the building.
14 crew members responded on two engines and one ladder responded. Sargeant says witnesses on scene said the fire started in the kitchen area but an official investigation will still be completed.
Sargeant had an important request for drivers. When making your way past a fire do not drive over fire hoses.
“It can compromise firefighter safety when they are in a building. It can break down the hose and compromise the water supply to the crews.”
According to Sargeant there were no injuries to report and no damage estimate available yet.
One family has been displaced by the fire and some of the surrounding units suffered smoke damage.