County Fire along with RCMP and a hazardous materials crew responded to the McRae Business Park after reports of hazmat leak.
The call came in just before 7 a.m. Monday morning about some white vapour in the area of 148 Avenue and 97 Street. Deputy Fire Chief Bart Johnson says some employees discovered the leak Monday morning.
“There were no injuries. There were a couple of people who noticed through some contact with their eyes, it had an impact on their eyes. To my knowledge, nobody was hospitalized.”
Johnson says hydrochloric acid can irritate the eyes as well as impact breathing and cause other health problems if a high exposure takes place. He says that is why they evacuated the area “downwind.”
“Once the product had been removed from the leaking container an secured all of the businesses were allowed to re-open, traffic was allowed back in the area and everybody was back to work.”
The all-clear came in just after 11:00 a.m.
Three crews responded to the scene. Johnson says they had two stations respond due to the nature of the call and since it was so close to shift change a third crew was also on hand.