HomeNewsGrande Prairie student uses essay to get to Ottawa

Grande Prairie student uses essay to get to Ottawa

A Grande Prairie student was able to take in the scene in Ottawa last week and he earned his ticket with his essay writing skills. Shae Guy was one of 150 youth picked from across Canada to take the trip to Canada’s capital. The program was called Canada 150&Me. He says he is happy be sent in his work.

“This is an amazing program. They give you tons of stuff to do. There is always something going on. It gives you a unique opportunity to meet different people. It gives you an opportunity to meet different people from across Canada.”

Over the course of eight days, the students participate in activities throughout the region. They went to the Governor General’s Awards on the Performing Arts and experienced the Canada Day celebrations at Parliament Hill. Guy would recommend other students take on these types of contest challenges.

“There is tons of different views on everything. Everybody has something to say about something. You get to bounce ideas off one another and learn more than I ever would have known before.”

He was first selected for the regional competition. After that, he entered to the national competition for his chance to go to Ottawa. The project was through Experiences Canada supported by the Department of Canadian Heritage and other major sponsors.

Guy is going into grade 12 at the Grande Prairie Composite High School in the fall of 2017.