Permanent natural gas service has been restored to more than 300 homes east of Grande Prairie after it was knocked out by a fire at a farm tap unit Monday. ATCO Gas employees worked overnight to reach each home in the area of Highway 670 and Range Road 52, helping residents re-light their natural gas appliances.
Temperatures went between minus 25 and minus 30 during the day, and houses went without heat for at least eight hours. People were able to go to a warming centre at Evergreen Park until compressed natural gas trailers were brought in and hooked up.
The tap unit was fixed last night, but what caused the initial fire is still under investigation.