â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsOlympic curling silver medalist helps kick off Goodwill donation drive

Olympic curling silver medalist helps kick off Goodwill donation drive

A Grande Prairie born Olympic silver medalist helped kick off a High School charity drive yesterday in the city. Charles Spencer High School launched their first annual Goodwill Donation Drive with the help of Olympic curler Cheryl Bernard. She gave a presentation that she says is not all about the medal itself.

“For me it is not about winning the medal. It is about the journey along the way, the relationships you make along the way [and] the choices you make in life. I think, that’s what is important. I could always look back and if we did not win an Olympic medal, the awards along the way would be more than enough.”

The first annual drive launched with the Goodwill ambassador speaking to the students about choosing their own path in life. Bernard says she is always impressed by students who jump on projects like this.

“I’m constantly shocked when I go into schools and situations with young kids… For me, sometimes it is a learning curve and to watch them do this, we are teaching each other and we are creating a great world to live in.”

- Advertisement -

Grade 12 students Josh Henderson and Calan Sanun are second year work experience students with the Goodwill organization and assisted in the kickoff yesterday with Bernard. Household goods and used clothing donations will be collected at the school on 20 Knowledge Way until February 26th by the students.

Goodwill Industries of Alberta is a non-profit organization that helps people with disabilities get opportunities to enhance their lives through meaningful employment.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading