HomeNewsBeaverlodge student thrives on Education Advisory Council

Beaverlodge student thrives on Education Advisory Council

Grade 10 student Kaitlynn Douglas’ first year on the Minister of Education’s Student Advisory Council culminated in the Speak Out conference in Edmonton last weekend.

The event brings students from around the province together to share their experiences and ideas with Alberta Education.

Even though she hails from a rural area, Kaitlynn believes everyone should be engaged in education.

“That’s what makes education great; we need parents involved, the teachers involved, students involved, community members, everyone needs to be involved. Like they say, it takes a village to raise a child, so we need everyone to be involved and engaged, and that will make students successful.”

The Beaverlodge Regional High School student was selected as a member of the council last year and helped plan the conference.

She says her time involved so far has changed her life.

“I’ve grown so much as a person being on the council. I used to be really shy, not wanting to public speak, not wanting to raise my hand in class or anything; now I’m totally opposite. I’m engaged, I’m excited about education, I’m happy to come to school. It’s incredible how it can change you.”

At the conference, Kaitlynn and other council members held workshops and participated in a panel discussion with the Deputy Minister of Education.

She hopes to continue on as a member and encourages anyone wanting to learn more about and voice their opinions on the education system to try out.