For the fifth time in less than a week, the Grande Prairie Fire Department has responded to a blaze at a home. Just before 1 a.m. this morning, a 9-1-1 call came in about a structure fire in Crystal Lake Estates.
Crews found a fire in the home’s attached garage but were able to extinguish it before it spread to the rest of the property. However, the contents of the garage were significantly damaged and the house sustained smoke damage.
Platoon Chief Ward Redwood says thanks to having a working smoke detector, everyone home at the time was able to escape safely. No firefighters were injured.
An investigation into what sparked the blaze is underway.